Sunday, October 11, 2015

As World Remembers Our Girls.


As World Remembers Our Girls

Because I am a Girl:



Because I am a girl,
abort me not,
rather save my life-
to be someone else’s:
mother, sister, aunt,  and
grandmother;
to be a nation builder
support women like me
to build the world.

Because I am a girl,
give me equal chance
with my male counterpart,
education-deprive me NOT-
early marriage-commit me NOT-
into it.

Because I am a girl,
do not rape me,
turn me not to sex object,
prostitution never direct
my feet at.

Instead nurse and nurture me
for tomorrow’s job,
a better wife,
a wonderful mother, and
a builder of the nation.

Because I am a girl,
spare me of all cultural barriers
that may kill my potentials,
rather challenge me
to keep building on my ability.

Because I am a girl,
never see me as
someone else’s property,
but rather asset to the nation;
give me today’s best
that I may give you “rest”
tomorrow.

Because I am a girl,
do not write me off,
please, give me a gentle nudge,
a listening ear you shall have and
obedient mind without question
I will always give.

Because I am a girl,
raise me just like
my brothers,
I shall without fail
turn good and fulfill my
four-divinely-and-society-
created-role of: a daughter,
wife, mother and a builder.

World should know,
when girls do better-
world will be better;
humankind should remember,
these individuals were once girls:
Sirimavo Bandaranaike,
a three-time prime minister
in Ceylon, now Sri Lanka
Indira Gandhi, a two-time 
prime minister of India,
Golda Meir,
Israelis' prime minister at
a critical time, and 
Elisabeth Domitien.

Margaret Thatcher,
the iron lady, who redefined
United kingdom and reshaped
Europe;
Maria de Lourdes Pintasilgo,
Dame Eugenia Charles,
Gro Harlem Brundtland,
Benazir Bhutto,
Khaleda Zia, Edith Cresson,
Sylvie Kinigi, Agathe Uwilingiyimana,
Corazon Aquino, Angela Merkel;
and many more in different fields
that have made humankind proud.

Let our girls live,
give them education,
challenge and task them,
create a level playing field
for them with male children,
give them same tools like male
folks to work with;
watch over them and
wait for tomorrow’s harvest.

Once more, let our girls LIVE.




















No comments: