Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Because I am A Girl.

Because I am a Girl

Because I am a girl,
abort me not,
rather save my life-
to be someone else’s:
mother, sister, aunt, and
grandmother;
to be a nation builder,
support other women like
me to build the world.

Because I am a girl,
give me equal chance
with my male counterpart,
education-deprive me NOT-
early marriage-commit me NOT-
into it.

Because I am a girl,
do not rape me,
turn me not to sex object,
prostitution never direct
my feet at.

Instead nurse and nurture me
for tomorrow’s job,
a better wife,
a wonderful mother, and
a builder of the nation.

Because I am a girl,
spare me of all cultural
barriers that may kill my
potentials,
rather challenge me
to keep building on
my ability.

Because I am a girl,
never see me as
someone else’s property,
but rather asset to the nation;
give me today’s best
that I may give you “rest”
tomorrow.

Because I am a girl,
do not write me off,
give me a gentle nudge and
a listening ear,
obedient mind without question
you will see in me always.

Because I am a girl,
raise me just like
my brothers,
I shall without fail
turn good and fulfill my
four-divinely-and-society-
created-role of: a daughter,
wife, mother and a builder.

World should know,
when girls do better-
world will be better;

humankind should remember,
these individuals were once girls:
Sirimavo Bandaranaike,
three-time prime minister of
Ceylon, now Sri Lanka,
Indira Gandhi, two-time
prime minister of India,
Golda Meir,
Israeli’s prime minister
at  a critical time,
Elisabeth Domitien.

Margaret Thatcher,
the iron lady, who redefined
United Kingdom and reshaped
Europe,
Maria de Lourdes Pintasilgo,
Dame Eugenia Charles,
Gro Harlem Brundtland,
Benazir Bhutto,
Khaleda Zia, Edith Cresson,
Sylvie Kinigi, Agathe Uwilingiyimana,
Corazon Aquino, Angela Merkel;
and many more in different fields
that have made humankind proud.

Let our girls live,
give them education,
challenge and task them,
create a level playing field
for them with male children,
give them same tools like male
folks to work with;
watch over them and
wait for tomorrow’s harvest.

Once more, let our girls LIVE.











No comments: